Monday, May 25, 2009

Resveratrol

No surprise, the Indy500 was all over the Google top 100 yesterday. However, I'd like to focus my attention on something that I was surprised to see all over the list - resveratrol.

I'm not a fan of 60 Minutes, so I am not quite sure what was said on the show. From what I can gather, scientists (always generic, never specific scientists) may have latched onto a chemical responsible for preventing cancer, eliminating Type II diabetes, and fighting aging with its antioxident powers. As a believer in the "if it seems too good to be true, it probably is" philosophy, I remain skeptical to the powers of this natural chemical. I still see the media's first job as sensationalizing news, and somewhere well below that their responsibility to try and be accurate. I cannot tell you today what to believe, and conversely, I would expect that you wouldn't take some jerk's advice when it comes to your health. I encourage all to read and become involved in their health and the science of the world around them.

As for me, I'm going to ensure that I get my share of resveratrol today by getting shitfaced on red wine.

Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment